Tuesday, February 7, 2017

My Favourite Places for Falafel Around Toronto

This post is inspired by going to a "falafel joint" in downtwon Toronto several friends recommended to me, eating their supposedly incredible falafel, and it ruining my entire day as a result of how bad it was. And also because of that time in Germany they put MAYONNAISE on our falafel sandwiches.

It made me really appreciate the few places I go to for good falafel and I wanted to share this knowledge with the world. When I was a kid I remember never really liking the taste of falafel, but as has been the case with cinnamon, celery and ayshekaden, it has really grown on me. So without any further adieu, here are my top choices for falafel in and around Toronto:

Armenian Kitchen:
Go with your family, go with your friends, go with everyone, but make sure to go hungry. I have never been disappointed and I have been going here for a good chunk of my life. The lentil soup and veggie platter are my top choices, with the latter coming with hmoz, baba ghanoush, falafel, tabouleh and labneh. You can easily veganize it by asking for the labneh to be replaced with anything else on the plate (I always ask for more hmoz). It comes with pita, pickles (the BEST), hot sauce and that tahini sauce I always forget the name of. One of my all-time favourite meals and every single thing on it is made perfectly:
So good, so filling, and I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't leave there absolutely stuffed and happy. That includes Bjorn, Shaghig and I on our most recent trip there (we were so full):
Even though falafel is best hot & fresh, my mom and dad recently went to Armenian Kitchen together, and assuming (rightfully so) that I would be very jealous of this little dinner date, they brought me a bag of falafels:
Armenian Kitchen's falafel is so good, it can actually stand on its own feet. Although I already had a very filling dinner, I still devoured a few:
No regrets!
Jerusalem:
Another one that has never disappointed, and again, I've been going since I was a kid. It used to be a regular restaurant, but now there is only a buffet available OR you can go to the separate section and get a sandwich and other things to eat there or to go. There are a few booths if you want to eat any of their sandwiches, and the falafel one is perfection, and their tabouleh and hmoz are very delicious too. I have eaten in the restaurant, buffet and in the side booth, and while I prefer the restaurant days over the modern buffet, the food is still incredible. I don't have a photo of the sandwich but for my dad's birthday we went for the buffet and this was one of my 48 plates:
The meneyish, pickled veggies, hmoz, tabouleh and lentil soup (not pictured) were great, and the falafel is always made the same and super fresh. So delicious.

Rifca's Mediterranean Kitchen:
Disclaimer: I've been here two or three times for the falafel sandwich, which was always delicious and packed with the perfect toppings, but since my last visit the owners have sold it and I have not eaten there since. I have no idea if it is still the same fantastic place I remember but I really hope it is since it was delicious. Here is a photo of the falafel sandwich from my last visit:
So while this very short list highlights just a few of the many falafel spots in and around the city, after seeing what counts as "falafel" in Toronto and abroad (looking at you, Germany), I am so happy they exist and continuously offer high-quality, perfectly fried and delicious falafel every single time!

*Three different people have told me Sababa on Steeles has great falafel and lentil soup & should be added to this list, so I will make an effort to eat there soon and possibly extend my super short list by one!

1 comment:

  1. Woww, seems like awesome to be here. Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful post. I love going to new places with my family and friends. Keep posting such useful articles.Find some awesome locations here as well for a wonderful trip http://www.bravewomentravel.com/.

    ReplyDelete